The first EVER New Hampshire teacher of the year award was recently presented at Salem High School. Like the 1st album of a great band, the first teacher winner reconciles YEARS of never choosing, so the competition was intense and the winner SO DESERVING!
This winner will:
- Be recognized first and foremost in front of their peers today.
- Be honored at the New Hampshire CTE conference in August with all of our other award recipients.
- Be given a banner to display and hang in their school for the 2019-20 school year.
Some basics about the award – The New Hampshire CTE teacher of the year must be a full time teacher who has demonstrated sustained long-term excellence in all aspects of Career and Technical education. The award recognizes a teacher who has gone above and beyond to provide students with experiences that exemplifies the best of what we have to offer. The selection process involves gathering quite a bit of data. We appreciate all of those involved in this process – for all the nominees!
So.. let’s talk about some specifics regarding the winner in your midsts today.. Here is how she was portrayed by her professional peers here and elsewhere:
- This teacher is a consummate professional who spends countless hours working with students, inspiring them to become all that they can be.
- This individual arrives to school well before their contracted hours and
stays late into the day or evening to help students succeed.
- The CTSO this person runs has a rich history of being one of the best in the state, and even the country. The CTSO consistently earns chapter of excellence and wins multiple gold medals at states. In addition, they have been a top 10 contender at Nationals multiple times.
- This teacher’s robust program advisory committee consists of several of her alumni, now working in the profession, who are honored to give back!
- This teacher has built a culture of excellence in their program (starting their career in Salem in 1999) where a seat has become highly coveted and a privilege to be accepted. Enrollment in the program continues to soar because of the quality and rigor of the program.
- Whenever this teacher is observed, you are in awe by their stories and real world examples that apply to the content they are teaching.
- This teacher is in frequent and consistent communication with students, caseworkers and parents (including a weekly blog). They have set the bar for communication concerning student achievement – and is always proactive – when there is any hint of a student struggling.
- This teacher has masterfully pushed students outside their comfort zone, while protecting and encouraging them at the same time.
- This teacher brings the best of CTE authenticity given her career in nursing that continues on. This teacher moonlights nights and weekends in the day surgical unit at Elliot Hospital. It is this commitment to keeping a close connection to current practices that brings to life the examples she shares.
- Many of this teacher’s students have gone on to become nurses, physicians, PT’s, OT’s, PA’s, nurse practitioners and other allied health professionals – serving us all – on a daily basis!
Congratulations to the 2019 New Hampshire CTE Teacher of the year, Janine Parent, Health Science teacher here at Salem High School.